Sunday, February 1, 2009

Should you eat the Lobster????

When I was little, maybe around six and younger, I lived on a very small island called Guam. And guess what I did?.. I ate Lobster and lots of it! But I did not know any better, how was I supposed to know that the lobster I ate was boiled alive and died very unhappy only with a purpose of filling my hungry belly? And now that I know now, I am going to give a shout out to all the lobsters I ate -- I am so sorry all of you died in pain just so that I could eat you.

Okay, there should really be a much more humane way to cook lobster than to just boil it alive. I mean can killing a lobster before cooking it take away the freshness? I do not see how it can because red meat is still considered fresh when it has been slaughtered before being cooked. Just because the lobster may not scream in pain when being boiled, it does not mean it cant be felt. Wallace even mentioned that lobsters have complex migratory cycles because they can detect change in temperature. He explains that lobsters tend to travel deeper in the water due to less sunlight. This proves that lobsters prefer colder water because the ocean does get colder the deeper you go. That being said, how can cooks still kill the poor lobster like this?

I guess partly it comes down to culture and what morals a person was raised with. When I visited Korea a couple years ago I remember being at an open fish market and being traumatized by how the cooks prepared the eels. This evil man ( he is evil because of what he did) took an eel and started skinning it ALIVE!!! and then put in a big bowl with other skinned eels. Is this sad, disgusting, and inhumane or what? I asked our tour guide why this man would do this and the tour guide responded saying that "this is the way some cooks believe in preparing food here" So it must be custom and traditional for this man to cook eels this way. Or maybe the man just sees the fish as a fish and not as an entity that feels pain and deserves to be treated fairly.

Okay now that I start thinking about this, do we not do the same thing when fishing? I mean most people usually kill the fish by taking out the water, suffocating it and then cooking it. It may no be as inhumane as the whole horrible eel incident but it can definitely be compared to the lobster and how we cook it. This goes back to my original question "Is there someway to cook a lobster without the painful boiling process?" Now I am not a an expert on lobster anatomy but there must be some vein or artery or something that can be punctured to kill the lobster quickly.

2 comments:

  1. Kayla, That was a very interesting essay! I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely...this fish situation has me worried. The trouble with lobster is, as Wallace describes, they're incredibly adept on not being killed, even to the point of knife punctures through the skull.

    Can't we just electrocute them, or something? Or, do we worry less about sea-life because they're more insectuous? Or, do we not worry about this at all?

    Difficulties abound!

    ReplyDelete