Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Don't Hurt the Animals!!!

Okay just to make things clear, I do eat meat. What would I do without my hamburgers, general chicken, bulgogi (korean beef), and pepperoni pizza?!. Now that that’s clear I just have one question, why is it necessary to keep the chickens and pigs in such confined spaces? Conserving land can not be an issue because there is still plenty of it ( in America at least) or is it just that it would cost way too much to have the chickens and pigs spread out a little?

It is really very sad to read what chicken operations do to the helpless animals. I was in shock that operations 1. Gave them no space to spread out 2. Cut off their beaks due to the confinement stress 3. Kill ten percent of the chickens due to their living spaces. I just could not believe that these operations put the chickens under so much stress that the chickens went basically mad and started to eat each other and kill themselves. Is it really necessary to do this at all? I’m sure if the chickens were accommodated a little more they would feel less stressed, live longer, and thus being able to lay more eggs for a longer period of time. If there was a way to single out the operations that did this, I would not buy their chicken products at all. Which is probably why this does not happen, and there is probably some law that prevents it from happening. So I really do not know what to do in terms of not supporting the chicken killers. If I somehow become a vegetarian it will not change anything, the chicken operations plant will still be going strong. The same support goes to the all the pigs suffering in the processing plants. Can a person really be so heartless to see pigs day after day biting each others tails and screaming in pain. I mean come on I just find it difficult to go fishing once in awhile because that would mean killing a fish. But to actually purposely hurt an animal that is just as smart as a dog, if not more, is just something else.

After reading Pollan's article as of right now I am going to change the way I shop for my meats. I will start looking for the meats only labeled " the American Humane Association's Free Farmed" Assuming that this label is one hundred percent true, this could be the starting point for me not to support the questionable processing plants. If everyone could boycott the processing plants that are not certified by the American Humane Association, then it could be very possible to force all plants to become certified.

No comments:

Post a Comment